Kansai University Museum
The Center for Cultural Heritage boasts a history of more than 50 years.
Open to the public.
University museum, exhibits and collections of precious materials. Enhancing research and promotional activities.
Kansai University Museum (KUM) opened in 1994. The previous museum was established in 1954 by the late Professor Emeritus, Masao Suenaga (1897-1991), together with Kansai University Archaeological Research Institute. The museum houses approximately 40,000 objects of archaeological, historical, ethnological, and artcraft contexts, as well as some natural-historical materials. The main objects came from the personal collection of Hikoichi Motoyama (1853-1932), the former president of the Osaka Mainichi Newspapers.
There are two exhibition galleries. The main one displays archaeological and historical objects, including 16 important Cultural Properties (Juyobunkazai). The museum also offers special exhibitions and extension classes for the general public. KUM plays an important role in higher education, through academic research, programs in museum studies, and support for the archaeological training for university students. Active research on museum materials are conducted, and the results are announced in periodicals published by KUM.
April 2005: Naniwa Research Center for Cultural Heritage of Osaka is established (until March 2010).
March 2008: Exhibition room of Takamatsuzuka-kofun burial mound wall painting ceramic replica is established.
April 2010: Research Center for Cityscape and Cultural Heritage of Osaka is established (until March 2015).
June 2011: The collection of Hikoichi Motoyama is registered as a tangible cultural property in archaeology.
March 2018: The Kanbun-kan is designated as a tangible cultural property by Osaka prefecture.
Exhibition Room of Takamatsuzuka-kofun burial mound wall painting ceramic replica
In March 1972, under the guidance of the Emeritus Professor Masao Suenaga, Assist. Prof. Yoshinori Aboshi led the students of Kansai University and discovered the ancient Takamatsuzuka-kofun burial mound wall painting. The discovery was called "the great discovery of the century" at the time.
This replicated exhibition room shows richly colored figures of "Chinese Gods of four directions", "servant groups", "maid groups", "the sun and the moon", and "a map of astronomy" on the art ceramic boards which are in full-scale exactness based on the photographs taken just after the discovery of the fresco and reproduces them as an original state of the burial mound.