Application for the program

My home university does not have Student Exchange Agreement with Kansai University. Can I apply for the Student Exchange Program?
To apply for the Student Exchange Program, your home university needs to be our partner university (the university that has Student Exchange Agreement with Kansai University). The list of our partner universities is available at the following URLs. If you are a student of UMAP participating university, this case might not be applicable. Please inquire to the coordinator of your home university.
I have no Japanese proficiency, but can I apply for the Student Exchange Program?
You can apply for the Student Exchange Program regardless of Japanese learning experience or Japanese proficiency. However, if you have no Japanese learning experience or Japanese proficiency, you need to meet the following English requirements.
  • GTEC 260 ~
  • TOEFL ITP 505 ~
  • TOEFL iBT 60 ~
  • TOEIC 580 ~
  • CEFR B1
How do I know if my application is approved? When can I receive the LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE?
The LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE is issued around mid-December for the spring semester, and around mid-June for the fall semester.
We will inform how to download the letter separately.
You will know the approval of your application by the LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE.
I filled in the online application, selected "Close"to finish the online application, and was returned to the main menu. Is my online application completed?
Please ask the Division of International Affairs (ku-dia@ml.kandai.jp) if your online application is completed or not.
My passport is not ready yet and I cannot upload my passport photo onto the online application.
Please submit an official document which we can confirm your name.
What is the GPA requirements to apply for the Student Exchange Program?
There is no GPA requirements. Your application is approved based on the Letter of Recommendation from your home university.
I forgot my password for the online application.
Please follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password.
Do I need to dispatch the original of the Letter of Recommendation, Covenants Application, Certificate of Health (and Research Plan) , though I already submitted them through the online application?
You do not need to dispatch the original documents.

Academic Calendar

When does the each semester of the Student Exchange Program begin?
The spring semester starts on 1st April and the fall semester starts on 21st September.
How is the academic calendar organized?
The academic calendar of Kansai University is available at the following URL. The graduation ceremony for the exchange students is held before the examinations of each semester. There is no class after the examinations. You can return to the home country after the examinations are over (It is not necessary to stay in Japan till the end of the semester).
The examinations are finished some weeks before the end of each semester. Can I stay in Japan after the examinations are finished?
Yes, but you have to leave Japan by the end of the semester.

Dormitory and Residence

Is there any help for finding an apartment (flat)?
Yes, Kansai University introduces you to our affiliated real estate agency that will support you to find an apartment (flat).
Can I do a homestay during the stay in Japan?
Please choose "homestay"as accomodation in Japan on the online application. Our afilliated homestay agency will contact you later.
When can I Move-In to the dormitory?
The approximate designated arrival date for spring is late March for the spring semester and mid-September for the fall semester, and you can move into the dormitory after that. The designated arrival date will be informed separately.
Is the Move-Out date from the dormitory designated?
The designated date for moving out of a dormitory will be specified separately in the Letter of Dormitory Acceptance that will be sent in the Welcome Pack. However, the moving-out day is related to period of classes, so there is a possibility that students cannot stay in a dormitory until the end of semester.
Is the dormitory entrance fee paid back?
No, the dormitory entrance fee is not paid back. When you move in the dormitory, you need to pay the dormitory entrance fee and also need to make deposit of equivalent amount to 1 month dormitory charge. This deposit will be used for the dormitory charge for the last month of your stay as long as there is no other unpaid charge.
Can I send my belongings to the dormitory before I move in the dormitory?
No. Kansai University cannot keep any of your belongings before your Move-In date.

Coming to Japan

When should I buy an air ticket?
Please buy an air ticket only after you get the visa. Kansai University will take no responsibility in case that the visa is not issued after you have bought an air ticket or that the visa is not issued in time for the flight schedule.
I want to bring medicines for my chronic disease. Is there any restriction on bringing medicines into Japan?
Please refer to the following URL of Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.


Are there university cafeterias?
Yes, there are some cafeterias, bakeries, cafes and convenience stores in Kansai University.
Do I have to buy insurance?
International students are required to be affiliated to the National Health Insurance during the period of studying in Japan (the insurance premium shall be paid by the students). The Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research ("Gakkensai") is also available and covers some of the injuries during the regular curriculum of Kansai University or activities on Kansai University campuses (the insurance premium is covered by Kansai University). The details of Gakkensai are written in the Procedure Guide of your application.
However, these insurances might not fully cover the fees for the treatment of injuries. We recommend that you individually buy the appropriate insurance like overseas travel insurance as security against illnesses, injuries and unexpected incidents. You have an option to buy the Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with Gakkensai for International Student after you come to Japan.
What should I do if I am not feeling well?
Minor medical care such as cold, stomachache etc is available at the Medical Clinic of Senriyama Campus of Kansai University. The Medical Clinic treats patients with health insurance coverage, so please show your health insurance card at the clinic.

The Medical Institution Information for Non-Japanese Persons in the Event of Sudden Illness or Injury can be found from the following website.
Is there any procedure before I return to the home country?
The following procedures are necessary before you return to the home country (*this does not apply to the temporary return).
  • Some procedures at City Hall
  • Residential Cancellation
  • Cancellation of electricity, gas and water supply service
  • Cancellation of mobile phone and internet service
  • Termination of Bank Account
and so on
The details of each procedure will be explained when your return time comes near.
Can I do a part-time job while studying in Kansai University?
You can do a part-time job if you get the "Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Visa Status Previously Granted". With this permission, you can engage in the work with payment though your status of residence, "Student". If you start a part-time job, please get this permission beforehand for sure. The application form is available at the following URL. We recommend that you apply for this permission at the Kansai International Airport on the date of your arrival even though you do not have a plan to do a part-time job in Japan. Otherwise, if you want to apply for it on a later day, you need to bring the application form, residence card and passport to Osaka Regional Immigration Services Bureau and wait for around 2-8 weeks to get the permisison.
Can I temporarily return to the home country during the period of stay in Japan?/ Can I travel to the other country during the period of stay in Japan?
If you want to temporarily return to the home country or travel to other countries during your period of stay in Japan, you are required to get a re-entry permit in advance. We will let you know the detailed procedures at the time when you actually temporarily leave Japan so please contact the Division of International Affairs beforehand.

Course ("Risyu")

Can the exchange students who study Japanese for the first time take Japanese language classes? How is one's level of Japanese language class decided?
Yes, the exchange students who have never studied Japanese before can take Japanese language classes. The each student's level of Japanese language class is decided based on the results of the Japanese placement test.
Is an English syllabus available?
For the KUGF Curriculum, there is an English syllabus available at the following URL. For the subjects offered by faculties, there is no English syllabus as the participant students of these subjects are assumed to have a certain level of Japanese language proficiency. You can search Japanese syllabuses with the Kansai University Syllabus Search System at the following
Are there any requirements for taking courses?
The undergraduate exchange students are required to take 7 classes or more per week. (If you are an graduate exchange student at Kansai University, you can take less than 7 classes per week.)
* If 2 classes are held per week for 1 subject, that subject is counted as 2 classes. The upper limit of credits is 24 credits for undergraduate exchange students and 14 credits for graduate exchange students..
What is the language of instruction?
It depends on the courses you take, but the lectures are held in Japanese or English.
How many reference credits I can get per one course?
We basically offer two reference credits per subject at Kansai University. *As an exception, some subjects doesn't offer two reference credits.
When can I have the Certificate of Academic Record?
For the subjects taken during the spring semester, their grades can be checked at Kansai University Information System in early September and the Certificate of Acaemic Record is despatched to your home university around late September.
For the subjects taken during the fall semester, their grades can be checked at our Information System in early March and the Certificate of Academic Record is despatched to your home university around late March.

The grade announcement date cannot be changed for any reason.
I would like to see the sample of the CERTIFICATE OF ACADEMIC RECORD.
Sample of the CERTIFICATE OF ACADEMIC RECORD can be found at the following URL , and you can also check the grading system and credit system at Kansai University.
Can I take the subjects offered by departnments if I have passed the JLPT (Japanese-Language Proficiency Test) ?
It is not decided by your JLPT qualification only, but is considered in a comprehensive way with the result of Japanese language placement test. Please continue to study Japanese for the placement test.
Can the subjects offered in the KUGF curriculum be taken by undergraduate exchange students or by graduate exchange students?
Both undergraduate exchange students and graduate exchange students can take the KUGF subjects.
Can I consult with someone about the worries on studies and lives during the stay in Japan?
The exchange students will have an academic advisor at Kansai University and can consult with him or her about the subjects and classes. For other kinds of worries, you can contact the Division of International Affairs.
The Division of International Affairs (2nd Floor of Bldg.2-1 of Senriyama Campus)

Visa, CoE etc

How is the Certificate of Eligibility (hereinafter CoE) issued?
Kansai University applies for the CoE to the Immigration Services Agency of Japan by your proxy, based on the information declared on the online application. If there is any point to be clarified, our outsourcing company will contact you by email. When your CoE is issued, we will dispatch it to the coordinator of your home university by post.
I have not received any emails regarding CoE from your outsourcing company.
They do not contact you if there is no unclear point in your online application.
When can I receive the CoE?
The CoE is planned to be dispatched by post in the following schedule.
For the exchange students who start in the spring semester: By the end of February
For the exchange students who start in the fall semester: By the end of August
* CoE is issued after the acceptance of Immigration Services Agency of Japan. Please understand that the dispatch of CoE might be delayed if the examination by the Immgiration Bureau takes longer than expected.
When should I apply for the visa?
Please apply for the visa at Japanese diplomatic missions abroad (Japanese Embassy/ Japanese Consulate) when you receive the CoE.
Can I go to Japan with another visa than student visa?
As a general rule, please come to Japan with student visa if you do not have a Japanese passport. Kansai University will not bear any responsibility if you enter Japan with another visa and later have troubles in changing your status of residence to Student.
Where is the residence card issued?
The residence card is issued and handed over to you when you receive the landing permission at the Kansai International Airport (same as in the case of entering from New Chitose, Narita, Tokyo International (Haneda), Chubu Centrair International, Hiroshima or Fukuoka Airport).
If you enter Japan using an airport other than the above seven airports, you must notify the municipality of your place of residence, and they will send your residence card to the place of your residence you have notified within about two weeks.