Japanese Language Program: Study Opportunities for International Exchange Students: Short-Term Programs: Government-Sponsored International Students | Kansai University Division of International Affairs

Attending from Overseas Partner Institutions

Incoming International Exchange Students

Based on the student exchange agreement, Kansai University accepts international exchange students from partner institutions in April and September every year.
Available courses under this exchange program are divided into the Japanese Language class and the Japanese Studies class, with the Japanese Language class taught in Japanese, and the Japanese Studies class taught in English.
Students who have been recognized as having ample Japanese language skills by the results of their placement tests may take classes in other disciplines. If you wish to study specialized courses with a Kansai University professor at a graduate school level, please inquire through the contact information provided.

Incoming International Exchange Students

Studying Japanese Language and Culture

Kansai University offers programs on the Japanese language and culture, with the aim of educating students on such aspects about Japan as its language, the situation in the country, and its culture. We offer the following three courses to respond to the students' diverse objectives and duration of their study abroad program.

Japanese Language and Culture Program Preparatory Course (Bekka)

Japanese Language and Culture Program Preparatory Course (Bekka) is, in principle, a one-year program. Bekka is designed to provide instructions in the Japanese language, the situation in Japan, and about Japanese culture to international students who wish to advance into an undergraduate or graduate program at Kansai University or other universities in Japan. Bekka also gives proactive support in educating students not only on Japanese language abilities, but also the fundamental skills needed to further their academic activities.

Japanese Language and Culture Course (JLC)

The purpose of the Japanese Language and Culture Course (JLC) is to teach Japanese language and Japanese culture to international students who are enrolled in or have graduated universities and graduate schools outside of Japan.
The course is divided into Japanese Language Class, Japan Studies Class, and Global Frontier Class, with the Japanese Language Class taught in Japanese and the rest in the English language. Period of study is either one semester (half a year) or two semesters (one year), and can be started either in April or September.
One of the features of this course is that it accepts students who are new to the Japanese language, and offers Japanese language classes from the beginner level. The course also offers classes on Japan studies and diverse themes in the English language.

Intensive Japanese Language and Culture Course (IJLC)

Intensive Japanese Language and Culture Course (IJLC) is offered for students enrolled in a university or graduate school outside of Japan. The purpose of this course is to deepen the students' understanding about Japanese culture and society. This course is offered in the summer and winter for about two to three weeks. In addition to studying about the Japanese language, students are given many opportunities to acquire a closer affinity to Japan through field trips to Kyoto, etc., as well as programs to experience Japanese culture, such as tea ceremonies, and through interactions with Japanese students.

Studying Classes of Diverse Discipline in the English Language

Summer School at Kansai University

Get inspired by living and studying here in Japan, in Osaka, this summer! Summer School at Kansai University offers two-week and four-week programs from July to August 2018 with classes in diverse disciplines offered in English, as well as a chance to begin studying the Japanese language. Kansai University's Summer School is a program for students interested in Japanese culture, society, history, and contemporary issues.

Study Abroad with the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship for Foreign Students

Government-Sponsored Exchange Students (Embassy Recommendations)

Please review the introductions to the various research fields below to determine whether or not the theme of your research is available at Kansai University. Each research field website contains e-mail addresses for the teaching staff; applicants may feel free to contact the faculty members directly.
Having confirmed the research fields offered at the Kansai University, those seeking admission to our university as a government-sponsored student should forward the following document to the Division of International Affairs by e-mail (PDF files accepted.) After receiving the documents, they will be evaluated in a process that normally takes two to three weeks. If there is a particular faculty member at Kansai University with whom the applicant wishes to conduct research with, please inform the Division of International Affairs, and submit the documents shown below.
The university will issue a Certificate of Acceptance should the application be accepted.

  • Certificate of having passed the first round of screening (copy allowed)
  • Application for Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship
  • Application for Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship (separate sheet)
  • Research field and research proposal
  • Transcripts from last attended university
  • Graduation certificate from last attended university
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Outline of thesis, etc.

(Forms 2 to 8 should be copies of the forms submitted to the overseas embassies or consulates.)

By the end of August before the academic year that you wish to commence your studies


Q1. Is it possible to enter a registered course (Masters, Doctorate, Professional Degree) from the beginning, instead of entering as a non-degree student (research student)?
A1. Students may enroll in a registered course if the applicant passes the university's entrance examination.
However, the applicant will be responsible for paying all travel and other expenses to take the entrance examination, and the examination fee will not be returned if the applicant decides not to enroll in our university as a government-sponsored student. We therefore recommend that the applicant first come to Japan as a non-degree student (research student), and then take the entrance examination for a degree-seeking course.
Q2. Is it necessary to come to Japan in order to be considered as a research student?
A2. The oral examination for students to whom the university issued a Certificate of Acceptance will be waived, so there is no need to come to Japan (however, an application for the waiver must be submitted).